Roughly bounded by Taylor, Heidt, Gervais and Harden Streets, Waverly Historic District’s original neighborhood covered a twelve-block area adjacent to Columbia’s late 18th-century limits. Once part of a plantation owned by Robert Latta, in 1855, it was one of the first documented subdivisions in Columbia. By the late 1800s, the neighborhood was home to both black and white working- and middle-class residents. In 1913, Waverly was annexed into the city. As the South became increasingly segregated during the Jim Crow era, Waverly evolved into a self-contained, self-sustaining African-American community featuring many middle- and upper-class African-American residents, among whom where leaders within spiritual, business, academic and professional circles.
This markers will be the newest of 17 historic markers placed around Columbia to recognize historically significant African-American sites. This program was organized in part by the City of Columbia, in partnership with Historic Columbia Foundation and funded by South Carolina Department of Transportation. Both programs will include comments from the SC State Historic Preservation Office, City of Columbia, Historic Columbia Foundation and other associated with the historic site.