I'm a huge fan of summer in the South. Warm weather is my excuse for more kayaking trips, more Saturdays spent floating down the rivers, more sailing at Lake Murray, more water park adventures, more visits to my favorite indoor spots - and a lot more frozen yogurt!
If you're looking fun things to do to cool off this summer, don't sweat it. Here is a list of seven ways to cool to cool off this summer in Columbia - your famously hot summer to-do list, if you will:
- Float down the Congaree, Broad or Saluda rivers in a tube. (Tubing is one of my favorites!)
Need tubes? Visit one of our local outfitters to stock up on the gear.
- Kayak or canoe down one of the three rivers or at Congaree National Park. If you're like me and not an avid kayaker, take a guided tour or get the scoop on the best locations from the experts at Adventure Carolina, River Runner Outdoor Center, Get Your Gear On or one of our other outdoor outfitters.
- Rent a boat and take on the lake at Lake Murray!
Browse our full listing of boat and pontoon rentals on Lake Murray.
- Sail on Lake Murray! Lanier Sailing Academy offers sailboat rentals as well as classes for those interested in learning. (This is on my must-do list this summer! Ay ay!)
- Go fishing and take a guided fly fishing trip with Frank's Fly Arts. This is perfect for the novice and fly fishing expert alike. No gear needed - bring your sunglasses, and let Frank's take it from there.
- Slip and slide at the Palmetto Falls Water Park at Fort Jackson - or take the kids to splash around at Saluda Shoals Park.
- Take the fun indoors at one of our top attractions. Get lost in history at one of Historic Columbia Foundation's historic homes, brush up on South Carolina culture at South Carolina State Museum, spend your day with the kids at EdVenture Children's Museum or get your arts fix at Columbia Museum of Art.