Miss South Carolina Pageant is here, and the famously hot week of festivities is underway in Columbia, SC. Now that you're here, you won't want to miss out on the many things to do while you're not watching shining tiaras and sashes on stage at the 75th Anniversary Miss South Carolina Scholarship Organization Pageant.
Here are nine ways to fill your free time while you're in town for Miss South Carolina:
- Follow in the pageant contestants' footsteps and visit Riverbanks Zoo and Garden, the largest zoo in the Southeast. Make sure to stop by and say "G'day" to the koalas, feed the giraffes and check out the babirusa!
- Tour some of the nation's most intriguing historic homes and gardens, like the Robert Mills House, Hampton Preston Mansion, Mann-Simon Cottage with Historic Columbia Foundation.
- Keep the kids entertained by visiting Eddie, the world's largest kid, at EdVenture Children's Museum.
- Cool off with a kayak or canoe trip down one of our three rivers. If you're looking to stay dry outside, stroll along the river or have a picnic at one of the region's parks or riverwalks.
- Brush up on your South Carolina history at the South Carolina State Museum.
- Get out, explore South Carolina's only national park and hit the trails at Congaree National Park.
- Check out the famously hot Chihuly masterpiece at the Columbia Museum of Art and their current exhibit, An Artist's Eye.
- Shop 'til you drop and check out Columbia's best shopping and boutiques in Five Points, along Devine Street and on Main Street. (Say "hello" to Sally Salamander if you spot her!)
(Hot tip: Stop by Columbia's newest addition to Main Street, Mast General Store to find everything from old general store candy to South Carolina gifts!)
- Soak up the many Fourth of July festivities and fireworks shows happening this weekend! Find what's going on in Columbia, SC for July 4th weekend and Monday, July 4 on our calendar of events.
Tickets for the 75th Anniversary Miss South Carolina Scholarship Pageant are available for purchase at the Township Auditorium box office, all Ticketmaster outlets, Ticketmaster.com or by phone at 1-800-745-3000. Book a hotel room online at columbiacvb.com.